Can’t Get Enough of . . . is a new monthly feature here at The Book Nympho where we give you lists of books that are similar either by topic, genre, character types, etc. You can find new posts mid-month on Friday.
I cut my police procedural reading teeth on the hard-boiled detective stories of old, written by Lawrence Sanders, Ed McBain and Joseph Wambaugh. Their detectives were flawed but were really good at their jobs and dedicated to seeking justice. Women were nowhere to be seen in any of these precincts unless they were there for questioning or sleeping with one of the detectives.
Well, things have radically changed in the last few years and we’re seeing more stories and series where the main character is a female, kick butt detective. Here are a few of my favorites.
Five years ago, I was introduced to Lieutenant Eve Dallas, the homicide detective featured in the In Death series by J. D. Robb. Initially, I was put off by the character but she soon won me over with her street savvy and ethical code. She always gets her baddies and it ain’t always pretty. Eve’s my prototype for the female detective in fiction.
Lieutenant Samantha (Sam) Holland is a Washington, D. C. homicide detective in the Fatal series by Marie Force who followed in her father’s law enforcement footsteps. She’s tough and sometimes too fearless but, like Eve, has the admiration and loyalty of her mostly male squad.
Police chief Kate Burkholder in the series of the same name, written by Linda Castillo, is a very interesting character. She was raised Amish but is no longer part of that community but still lives and works among them. Kate brings a unique perspective when investigating crimes affecting the Amish. It’s a fascinating series and Kate tops the list of kick butt detectives.
Here are a few others I’ve either started or are on my shelf to read:
1. Detective Lacey Flint, Lacey Flint series by Sharon Bolton
2. Lieutenant Taylor Jackson, Taylor Jackson series by J. T. Ellison
3. Special Agent Smoky Barrett, Smoky Barrett series by Cody McFadyen
4. PI Kinsey Milhone, Kinsey Milhone series by Sue Grafton
5. Special Agent Maggie O’Dell, Maggie O’Dell series by Alex Kava
6. Detective D. D. Warren, D. D. Warren series by Lisa Gardner
7. Detective Jane Rizzoli, Rizzoli & Isles series by Tess Gerritsen
8. Agent Lucy Kincaid, Lucy Kincaid series by Allison Brennan
9. Special Agent Sloane Burbank, Burbank & Parker series by Andrea Kane
10. Special Agent Jess Walters, Faces of Evil series by Debra Webb
Do you have any other series featuring female detectives you’d recommend?
I also love to talk about books. There’s nothing more exciting than to finish a great story and cover it A to Z with other people, exploring different perspectives and points of view. So, if you see something on my shelf you’d like to talk about, send me a message and we’ll talk!
Friend me at Goodreads.
Latest posts by Jonetta (see all)
- Audio Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon - November 20, 2017
- Audio Review: The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes - November 14, 2017
- Audio Review: Divine Evil by Nora Roberts - November 6, 2017