Talking Between Reads (TBR) is a monthly discussion post where we talk about different topics from books to blogging and anything else we think you guys might enjoy. Stop by for new topics.
WTF am I reading and does it really matter what the label is as long as I’m enjoying it?!
- Apocalyptic – relating to the end of the world; relating to, or involving terrible violence and destruction. (per merriam-webster.com)
- In other words: that’s shit is happening now.
- Post–apocalyptic – set in a world or civilization after a disaster.
- In other words: fuck, that was some messed up shit that happened.
- Dystopia – an imaginary place where people are unhappy and usually afraid because they are not treated fairly. (per merriam-webster.com)
- In other words, could be the end of the world or after the end of the world but basically, people are treated like shit by a person/group.
In my research of the sub-genres and how to tell them apart, I ran across this awesome flow-cart that Erin Bowman put together.
Here’s another one to think about…
Ecotopia – An ecologically ideal region or form of society, generally viewed as imaginary. (per oxforddictionaries.com)
Yeah I’ve never heard of that one. Anyone read a book that was labeled Ecotopia? Let us know in the comments.