I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Eleventh Grave in Moonlight by Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson #11
Narrator: Lorelei King
Published by Macmillan Audio on 01-24-17
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Length: 9 hrs and 18 mins
Amazon | Audio | Goodreads
A typical day in the life of Charley Davidson involves cheating husbands, missing people, errant wives, philandering business owners, and oh yeah...demons, hell hounds, evil gods, and dead people. Lots and lots of dead people. As a part time Private Investigator and full-time Grim Reaper, Charley has to balance the good, the bad, the undead, and those who want her dead. In this eleventh installment, Charley is learning to make peace with the fact that she is a goddess with all kinds of power and that her own daughter has been born to save the world from total destruction. But the forces of hell are determined to see Charley banished forever to the darkest corners of another dimension. With the son of Satan himself as her husband and world-rocking lover, maybe Charley can find a way to have her happily ever after after all.
I listened to Eleventh Grave in Moonlight in one sitting!
Charley usually has a few “irons in the fire” and she really juggled few more issues this time around. There were a few mysteries, some she was paid to figure out since she’s a P.I. and all. (One can’t live off of just coffee, although I think if someone could it would be Charley and Cookie.) The other mysteries were a little more personal, which is the case with all the books in Darynda Jones’ Charley Davidson series but they’ve never crossed over Charley’s job as much as the case of the Frosts aka the elderly couple that kidnapped baby Reyes all those years ago just to give him to the master, Earl Walker.
About 80% of the plot of these books are focused on the case(s) that Charley and Cookie are working on with the other 20% being part of the overall series arching plot line about Charley, Reyes and the fate of the world as we know it. I would say Eleventh Grave is more 90/10 but that ending will be a big jumping off point for The Trouble with Twelfth Grave (October 31st, 2017). Do not read the synopsis for The Trouble with Twelfth Grave BEFORE finishing Eleventh Grave in Moonlight.
I feel like Jones is leading us to the end of the series by spoon-feeding us salsa verde, only to hold mocha frappes over our heads and making us jump for them. I cannot wait to see what is in store for Charley and Reyes next.
Lorelei King delivers another stellar performance. She proves again, why the Charley Davidson series is an audio only series for me. She delivers Jones’s one-liners and snarky humor to perfection like no else could. If you have not listened to this series you really should even if you’ve already read it. DO. IT. ON. AUDIO!
After 17 years I've finally finished my BA in English (no I do not want to be a teacher). Before majoring in English I would not have touched anything labeled "classic", but I have enjoyed a few along the way in my college career.
While I hated to read growing up, I am now an avid book reader and audiobook listener. I love rejecting reality one book at a time. I only read fiction within my favorite (at least to date) genres which include: most romance (paranormal, contemporary, D/s, BDSM, M/M)Urban Fantasy, and a few YA (mostly PNR or UF from favorite adult authors, but I'm slowly stepping out of my comfort zone after enjoying a few contemporary YA novels in adolescent literature class I took).
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- Closing Time . . . - December 31, 2017
- Audible Romance Package - December 30, 2017
- Top 10 of 2017 – Top 10 Books I’m looking forward to in 2018 - December 29, 2017
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: