I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.At His Mercy by Shelly Bell
Series: Forbidden Lovers #1
Published by Forever on June 20th 2017
Genres: Erotic Suspense
Amazon | B&N | iBooks | Goodreads
Angel in his arms . . . Devil at her heels
One last, no-strings night of indulgence. That's all Tristan wants before he begins a much-needed new chapter in his life. Instead he finds an innocent angel in pink who brings him to his knees.
Isabella is done hiding from the world . . . and her haunting memories. Discovering courage in the arms of a perfect stranger, she finally lets go and sheds her inhibitions.
To Isabella's shock, she soon learns that Tristan is more than her mystery man-he's her professor. But Tristan isn't the only person who's found Isabella on campus. A dark figure from her past has come back for her. Now Tristan will risk anything to protect Isabella . . . even if it costs him his life.
Want I liked about At His Mercy:
- Hot chemistry – I felt the chemistry between Tristan and Isabella and found their attraction very believable
- Kink – I liked the D/s elements of the BDSM romance wasn’t over the top. I think for this story and the characters the kink level was just right.
- No Virgins were hurt in the making of this book – I really loved the fact that Isabella wasn’t a virgin. I just knew during their first sex scene he was going to find out after he pushed into her that she was a virgin. But nope so YEAH FOR NO VIRGINS.
- She did her research – While Isabellas was not a virgin, she was a newbie to the BDSM lifestyle but she spent time researching and taking “classes” before she stepped blindly into the world of play. I like she wasn’t someone who was talked into being a submissive or found herself in that role without knowing anything about it.
I had a couple issues with At His Mercy:
- Isabella’s age (19) – Nine years is not too much of an age difference if the people are a little older, but her 19 to Tristan’s 28 was a little icky for me personally. I think I would have been ok if Isabella was at least 21. I guess the fact that she’s technically still a teenager didn’t sit well with me. This bugged me enough that anytime the age issue came up it took me out of the moment. I guess considering At His Mercy is the first book in the Forbidden Lovers series, points of the age difference and Tristan being Isabella’s professor made them well, forbidden lovers. I think the taboo between teacher and student would have been enough with their ages being a little closer to each other.
- Villains / “crazy” exes – Both Isabella and Tristan had messed up exes. I feel like one would have been enough and made the suspense aspect stronger. Just felt like too many balls were being juggled in some parts of the plot.
While I had a few small issues with At His Mercy I’m looking for to reading the next book in the series, His to Claim which will be about Tristan’s friend/business partner and other Dom, Ryder.
After 17 years I've finally finished my BA in English (no I do not want to be a teacher). Before majoring in English I would not have touched anything labeled "classic", but I have enjoyed a few along the way in my college career.
While I hated to read growing up, I am now an avid book reader and audiobook listener. I love rejecting reality one book at a time. I only read fiction within my favorite (at least to date) genres which include: most romance (paranormal, contemporary, D/s, BDSM, M/M)Urban Fantasy, and a few YA (mostly PNR or UF from favorite adult authors, but I'm slowly stepping out of my comfort zone after enjoying a few contemporary YA novels in adolescent literature class I took).
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- Team Romp Spotlight on Never Dare a Dragon by Ashlyn Chase - August 18, 2017
- Top Ten Reasons Sex Scenes are Better than Action Scenes with Jennifer Bernard - August 16, 2017
- Who Says Rompers Can’t Stomp? with Adriana Anders - August 14, 2017